Sunday, November 16, 2008

Web Based Communication

I've used various instant messaging before. Yahoo, chat rooms, etc. Had a quick look at Google contact, but didn't want to stuff around with trying to get a colleague to chat with me.

I'm very interested in Skype, and have seen Jane demo it a couple of times. My brother in law recently worked in China and used Skype to call us on our land line. I, like another library blogger, don't have broadband at home, so don't think I could implement at home, but might give it a go in future.

There was a concept to use Skype for a Staff Development Committee meeting. It might happen in my life time?

I have seen instant messaging used in libraries as an alternative to InfoQuest. It requires someone to be ready and available at the point when client wants you though. I think I still like to use the phone. Maybe I'm just a bit of a luddite.

No comments: